Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Thinking on Tuesday
Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. -- Thomas Merton, 'No Man Is an Island'
If a problem has no solution, it may not be a problem, but a fact - not to be solved, but to be coped with over time. -- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
I like coincidences. They make me wonder about destiny, and whether free will is an illusion or just a matter of perspective. They let me speculate on the idea of some master plan that, from time to time, we're allowed to see out of the corner of our eye. -- Chuck, The World According to Chuck weblog, September 8, 2003

Oprah gives cars: What an amazing thing to do for people.

Ivan the Terrible: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ Roll me over, do it again, huh, Florida?

Take the top of my head off
Sometimes I wish my head had doors like at the mall, which automatically open. All the bad stuff would fly out--negative thoughts, worries, old patterns--my head would expand, my imagination soar, and new stuff would fly in, all good stuff, ideas, poems, exemplary behaviors, and I would be a new person, or maybe the same person, vastly improved. I'd open up the doors every day, and houseclean, and grow, and learn and improve.
By the time you're 48, you're just such a closet of old junk--old body, old memories, old habits--and it just takes such effort to clean the closet out. I make a list of what I should do, but it stays just that, a list, and instead of making me feel better, becomes one more thing to feel guilty about.

Things I love to read:

First Lesson by Philip Booth, from Lifelines, as printed in O magazine


Lie back daughter, let your head
be tipped back in the cup of my hand.
Gently, and I will hold you. Spread
your arms wide, lie out on the stream
and look high at the gulls. A dead-
man's float is face down. You will dive
and swim soon enough where this tidewater
ebbs to the sea. Daughter, believe
me, when you tire on the long thrash
to your island, lie up, and survive.
As you float now, where I held you
and let go, remember when fear
cramps your heart what I told you:
lie gently and wide to the light-year
stars, lie back, and the sea will hold you.

I love to write haiku, even bad ones:
After a good poem, a bad haiku
Coffee
Heaven-sent nectar
Fills my soul with energy,
Makes life bearable.
9/14/04

Speaking of O magazine, a really good article in the September issue. I can't find it online (yet?) -- it's in the "Live Your Best Life" section, called, "When's Your Ship Coming In?" by Raphael Cushnir. The theme is finding out what's keeping one from living the live you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment