Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2004

What summer should be
On a day like today when I was a teenager, I'd spend all afternoon in the sideyard, sunning. And sweating, because it's 90 and humid, with no breeze. I sure didn't care then--nor do I now. No clouds, either--perfect tanning weather.
I'd have Johnson's baby oil on and a Harlequin romance in my hands. Maybe a drink of water nearby--I don't remember that clearly. I'd go out about noon or one, and spend the whole afternoon, til about 4, or maybe 5. On the radio, I'd listen to rock and Motown, a mix that seems very strange now, on CKLW out of Detroit and Ontario. All the kids listened to it.
I'd go inside every once in a while, for a drink or a snack or to use the restroom.Talk to my mom. Had to be careful not to get baby oil on everything.
I'd be wearing my aqua-flowered bathing suit, a modest bikini, my only suit, and I'd feel fat, although I was almost 5'9" and only 120 pounds wringing wet. I never felt like I got very tan, either, although my younger sister remembers me as being very dark.
When the afternoon was over, I'd go in, shower, put some shorts and a t-shirt on, and be ready for anything, that way only teenagers can feel, that anything good and exciting might happen, at any minute.
Man I wish I could feel like that again, just for a minute--freshly tanned, newly washed, and ready for anything.

Anyone else remember those Johnson's baby oil guys? Big pictures in all the girls' magazines--Teen and Seventeen. Cute, cute guys, dark tans, all thanks to baby oil, I guess. I had a bunch as posters in my room. I think you could send away for real posters, not just cut the pictures out of the magazines.

The favorite tanning concoction -- Johnson's baby oil and iodine. I usually used the baby oil straight, though. Can you imagine how we were frying our bodies? Enough to make a dermatolist cringe.

This week's bad haiku

Sidewalk
Lead me to somewhere,
Anywhere, the world revolves
Around this sidewalk.

Shrimp
Huge, crimson, steaming,
The Rock Reds fill my plate with
Buttery heaven.

Interesting J.K. Rowling family tree facts:Famous Family Tree: Rowling

Cathy's online photo album's: more pictures than you care to look at! http://www.cdee.photosite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment