Pages

Friday, August 20, 2004

Rainy Friday
Third day of, can't help but add. Astoundingly bad weather for August. Usually the grass is brittle yellow by now, but it's as lush and green as early June.

Chew on these, since it's raining and you can't go outside

The fact that we don't know this man, isn't important really. Cause his experience is our experience, and his fate is our fate. Vani tass, vani tatum, et omni i vani tass, says the preacher. All is vanity I think that's a pretty good epitaph for all of us. When we're stripped of all our worldly possessions and all our fame, family, friends, we all face death alone. But it's that solitude in death that's our common bond in life. I know it's ironic, but that's just the way things are. Vani tass, vani tatum, et omni i vani tass. Only when we understand all is vanity, only then, it isn't. -- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, All is Vanity, 1991 (Boy I miss this show! I was devoted.)

Our lives teach us who we are. -- Salman Rushdie (I worked at the little bookstore at Time Corners when The Satanic Verses came out; what a stir!)

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (And this might explain most of our dissatisfaction with ourselves.)

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't. -- Anatole France (Indeed; this is a rare commodity; the older I get, the more amazed I am at what I don't know. I remember a moment in 8th grade when I thought I knew everything!)

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable. -- Eric Hoffer, The Passionate State of Mind, 1954 (Why do I think of The Shrub when I read this?) http://www.freedomsnest.com/hoffer.html


It's the soul's duty to be loyal to its own desires. It must abandon itself to its master passion. -- Rebecca West, O Magazine, September 2003 (see HWL's comments, above!)

Indiana State Fair
I think we're going tomorrow--is there anything more quintessentially Midwest than a good state fair? We've never been to the Indiana--although the Ohio State Fair was an integral part of my growing-up years. I hear the thing to see is the "biggest pig"!

City of Big Shoulders and Sore Feet
I'm sure Sandberg would had that reference, but I love going to Chicago and we were lucky enough to score a great inexpensive hotel through Priceline.com and parked the car and didn't move it until time to go home! The city so ALIVE--24/7. J. was looking out our window about 10:30 Saturday night, and he said, "Look at all the people!" It was as busy as it had been at 10:30 that morning. He said to me, "I'm going down and walk around and shop and I'll be back about 2:30 [a.m.]." He'd have done it, too--if he wasn't seven. We crammed quite a bit of stuff in a three-day weekend--some of the group to Wrigley and the Cubs game on Friday, while JD and I shopped up and down the Magnificent Mile. We all met at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. Saturday more shopping, lunch at an authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza place, a stop at the new and also magnificent Millenium Park (also, here), and more shopping. After a rest at the hotel pool, we took off for Watertower Place to the Food Life food court for dinner, then it was up in the Hancock Building for some observation. J. loved it. On the walk back to the Hilton Garden Inn, we stopped at Ghiradelli's Chocolate Shop for some ice cream and the c-word. Sunday, we visited Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park, and had lunch there at a little grill that had surprisingly good food.

Olympics
Missed the opening ceremonies due to being at the Cheesecake Factory! I always like the lighting of the Olympic flame. But despite being very busy managed to catch quite a bit of the gymnastics, swimming and in a rather surreal experience, watched men's water polo while having my teeth cleaned on Tuesday. That's what one gets by having a dentist with a TV in the room.


Your bad haiku for August, so far
No winners yet, though. Please note these topics are not picked by me but by USAToday!

Tennis

Rackets whack, heads turn,
Skirts fly, balls whiz by, net-high,
It's out! Game, set, match!

Mustache

Ah-ha! You villain--
I can tell by your mustache
You drank all the milk!

Candy

Bubble gum, Dum-dums,
Tootsie Rolls, we love them all,
Sweet stuff sweetens us!

Candy

Don't tempt me, please, with
That sugar-laden, empty
Calorie candy

No comments:

Post a Comment