Pages

Friday, July 30, 2004

And the rain and the clouds, they come
Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Letters and Social Aims: The Comic, 1876
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
-- Bible, New Testament, I Thessalonians
But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life. Being dead is quite painless. Pain, like time, is going to come on regardless. Question is, what glorious moments can you win from life in addition to the pain?
-- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar", 1991
What I saw on Tuesday's walk
In the dusk, a cardinal flying low through a yard, a flash of red and wing;
Bunnies, at least two, brown-grey and frozen in fear;
A handsome, dark-haired boy on a bike, who passed me, twice,
With no expression, or response, even as I said, "hi";
A pale, blond, littler boy on a scooter, with a creamy
Briche Frisson on a lease; the dog growled at me,
The first time I saw them; but the second time,
It was deep in exploring a fire hydrant, and ignored me --
And the little boy, absorbed the dog, did too;
Two grey-white ducks, on the pond, swimming;
I didn't see, but rather heard, a very deep-voiced frog,
That I frightened, for I heard the splash as it made a quick retreat;
Way up ahead of me, a young mom with a little girl, maybe two;
The sunset, shining through a bank of breaking-up clouds, finally;
My own front door, welcoming me home.
Songs I'm listening too
Five for Fighting, 100 Years
Usher, Burn
Outkast, Roses
Los Lonely Boys, Heaven
Maroon 5, This Love

 

No comments:

Post a Comment