Pages

Monday, April 19, 2004

Lights out
3 a.m. A rude awakening--the electricity has gone out (again). Thank you once again, AEP. Not much we can do at that hour, and not a crisis, since it is not raining (the basement really, really misses the sump when it goes out). Didn't go on until 7 a.m. I am speculating that a branch fell on the part of our small grid that is above ground. Oh well, it came back on in time for me to get my makeup, thank goodness for those who must look at me all day!

A wonderful weekend--in the 80s, unheardof for April in Indiana. Sandals and shorts. Shopping. Reading on the porch. Suddenly, life is worthwhile.

Here's one I want to read: Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's new book, "Plan of Attack." Heard him on Today Show this morning. Lauer was really grilling him--trying to get him to draw conclusions that, as a reporter, I don't think he wanted to draw. Read about it on msnbc.com.

Carol Joyce Oates
Had the pleasure of hearing her speak last Tuesday evening at the IPFW Omnibus Lecture Series. So glad I made the effort to go up. She was a much warmer person than I anticipated and very funny and down to earth. Read a couple of poems and a short story. I bought a I'll Take You There and will pitch it to book club for next year--I don't think we've ever read one of hers. Also got it signed--she asked me if a were a STUDENT at IPFW. Oh yea, 20 years ago! She must not have gotten a good look at me.

For the day

If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches.-- Rainer Maria Rilke

Never bear more than one trouble at a time. Some people bear three kinds - all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have. -- Bertrand Russell

I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming that comes when you finish the life of the emotions and of personal relations; and suddenly find - at the age of fifty, say - that a whole new life has opened before you, filled with things you can think about, study, or read about...It is as if a fresh sap of ideas and thoughts was rising in you.-- Agatha Christie, An Autobiography, 1977 Agatha Christie [I really must mention that a friend of mine write a book, The Complete Christie. Read about it on amazon.com.]

Never bear more than one trouble at a time. Some people bear three kinds - all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have. -- Edward Everett Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment