Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2004

Catching up on a Thursday
Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson: http://www.rwe.org/

All human beings should try to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why. -- James Thurber http://www.thurberhouse.org/

The need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind. -- Maya Angelou http://www.mayaangelou.com/

I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. -- Harry S Truman http://www.trumanlibrary.org/

Holy Week
Shouldn't every week be Holy Week? Certainly in the Catholic Church, in the eternal sacrifice of the Mass, it is so. Yet it is very humanly necessary to take a moment -- or a day -- or a week, to pause and, more intensely, remember, commemorate, celebrate, and synthesize. Whether it's the veterans on Memorial Day, workers on Labor Day, our country on Independence Day, or the death of Our Lord on Good Friday. In the religion of Cathy, I try to celebrate the eternal miracle of the Resurrection every day, for without the Resurrection, the crucifixion becomes meaningless. We all die. Before Christ, death was all; now we know, life is all. Every day is Easter, in my religioun.

That's why I shan't be going to see "The Passion of the Christ" anytime soon--not until "Passion II: The Resurrection" premieres. Sorry, Mel.

On the reading list
Atonement by Ian McEwon for book club. It's okay, but I just keep wanting to say, "Get on with it, man!" He does tend to dwell on the details, to the detriment of the story, it seems to me. Whenever I can skip 6 pages and not lose anything in the narrative, I sense a problem there. Had an email from a fellow club member who is enjoying "Reading Lolita in Iran." I must get ahold of a copy and get it started. If I keep skipping 6 pages at a time in Atonement, I'll have it done in no time! LOL!

Have a chance to go see Carol Joyce Oates speak Monday night at IPFW (www.ipfw.edu) Omnibus Lecture series. Hoping I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment