Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Reading Shelf
Forgot to mention what's on the book list lately. I finished Sophie and the Rising Sun for book club, and found it thoughtful and beautifully written. We had a lively discussion. I got a little frustated when trying to research the author; as it turns out, Augusta Trobaugh is a non de plume, and I could find not more than a paragraph anywhere, even on her own web site. Then a little Googling took me to the Georgia Public Radio site, to a show called Cover to Cover hosted by St. John Flynn, and I found an hour-long interview to which I listed with glee, taking 8 pages of notes to share with the ladies! Great stuff, and St. John generously sent me a copy of her book Swan's Place, which I think I'll take to Florida.
I've also got Mystic River (by Dennis Lehane) going--don't think I'll get to see the movie, though. It's a good read--rather dark and sad--but well done.
Picked up a book at the library called 1968: The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky but have done little other than glance at it. I did look up the chapter that covered the death of Robert Kennedy, a watershed moment in my 12-year-old life; the author does not seem to spend much time on it, unfortunately--I personally thing his death was the "death knell" of the '60s.
Looking forward to a couple--The Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman and Loving Che by Ana Menendez.

No comments:

Post a Comment