Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Tuesday of the new year
The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next. -- Matthew Arnold, 'God and the Bible,' 1875 (Read "Dover Beach")

On the book stand
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm not sure yet how much I like it; I rather feel as if I'm watching one of Star Trek: Next Generation's episodes of time warps and loops. It's kind of sad, too.
A Series of Unfortunate Events--I'm re-reading these and finding them just as hilarious as the first time. The vocabulary alone is enough to recommend them.
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: Marveling at how hard it is to take a good book and make a good movie...at how helpful it is to have read the book(s) to see the movie...and at how much more layered the book is, than the movie. The appendices along are amazing.
I also must being the book Possession, which our book club is reading this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment