Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Amusing Oneself on Wednesday
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future. -- Sidney J. Harris (I searched on Sidney, and discovered he is an author, but could find no biographical information.)
I am SO glad the New Hampshire primary is over--The media just beat a story like this to death and if you 1) read any news at all in the paper 2) watch any news at all on TV and 3) listen to NPR at all (other radio stations being rather bereft of news, nowadays) by the time the actual even happens one just doesn't care. It's why I rather dread election years anyway, my political sense having been murdered when I was a child in the '60s (along with JFK, RFK, and MLK), and I just want it to be over. Wasn't the 2000 election a nightmare for me! I was ready to have Florida suceeded from the union (as long as it remained open to tourists, that is).
Am reading Possession by A.S. Byatt, and I better hurry up, as it is due at the library Friday and I don't think I can renew it. It's definitely an English major's book, for it is rather steeped in the culture and language of academia, of which I am only casually familiar. I can see why this book might not attract the leisure reader. While learning about a different culture or time can be lively and fun--as one learns about the 19th century royal navy in Master and Commander, for example--learning about how scholars and academics work is quite another thing. Often a snore-y thing, unfortunately. The unearthed romance does spice the thing up a bit, thank goodness.
We dig out from yesterday's seven inches of snow. US 24 pretty clear this morning so I shan't complain. I hate the cold, though, and the wind. We will see the Sunshine State in 38 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment