Pages

Friday, November 7, 2003

Friday
November--my birthday, cold weather, leaves gone, holidays start. Quite an irony that I was born in what is close to my least favorite month of year. If I had to chose, I'd be a July birthday. July, when it's hot, sunny, green. Not cold, gray, cloudy November.
Leaves, of couse, well "past peak" as they say in the tourist vernacular. Thinking of how the countryside I drive home in changes with the seasons...spring yellow growing in to green. Summer just green. Yellow creeping back in September, with reds and browns and even orange thrown in. And now, in November, rust seems to be the dominant color--a heavy red-brown that gets blown away by the least wind. By January we will see the spareness of winter, the light-grayness of the trees and fields. 'Til yellow comes again.
I did have a nice birthday, thank you. Took a treat of assorted breads (purchased at Panera, of course) to work, with some spreads and a variety of hot drinks. It seemed much appreciated. In the evening, went out to dinner with everyone, except J., who was at his dad's this week. Chinese again--J's LEAST favorite, so he did not miss much! But everyone in good spirits, except the wait staff, who are always on the grumpy side. My gifts were just wonderful, I think thanks to my Amazon wish list! The Michael McDonald Motown CD; a book of Raymond Carver short stories; Rocking Horse Christmas, a children's picture book I've been wanting to add to my collection for three or four years; and a design-your-own candle type thing. Oh, and my mom sent me a decorative-fruit-in-a-gold bowl type thing, very pretty. Guess it doesn't matter if you're 8 or 48, presents are the best part of birthdays! Oh, and we went down to DeBrand's for dessert after, too! After we got home, J. called--to say "happy birthday"! He laughed when I said we went to his "favorite place," and I told him we would do better--maybe Pizza Hut--when he is home next week! He comes home tonight, and will be over for the pizza party with his great-grandparents.
Picked up a copy of Robert Lowell's poems at the library the other day--haven't gotten around to reading it yet. You can learn more about him here: Click! Here's quote from his poem "History," which seems particularly appropriate in this period of history:
"History has to live with what was here,
clutching and close to fumbling all we had--
it is so dull and gruesome how we die,
unlike writing, life never finishes...."
Click here to read the entire poem.
Don't forget to visit Indiana poet Jared Carter's site: click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment