Pages

Friday, November 7, 2003

Forgot
Forgot in my previous post I was going to mention a couple books I've read/am reading.
First, just finished Book the Tenth: The Slippery Slope, by Lemony Snicket (www.lemonysnicket.com). This book is JUST as terrible as its predecessors; perfectly horrible things happen; I truly regret I ever opened its covers, much less read every page; I really should have stopped when instructed to do so by the author. Of course, then I would have missed Sunny growing up ("I'm not a baby"), and the return of Quigley, and the revealing of a few VFD secrets, but surely, I could have survived with out this knowledge; for also, I had to witness the overworking of a small child; the climbing of a frozen waterfall; and the aftermath of destruction of a secret headquarters. I've heard there are to be 13 books in this series (what else?); but with its popularity, perhaps that will change. I would be nice to have a few of the mysteries solved! Oh, Beatrice!

Also, reading Loose Change by Sara Davidson. A Books Worth Reading club selection, one of those "I was there in the '60s" things that both amaze and repel me. Despite my advancing years, I was a child in rural Ohio in the '60s, and pretty much was just an observer of tuning out, turning on, etc., etc. By the time I was a teenager, in the '70s, we had progressed to bad fashion, bad hair, and bad politics. I really can't imagine living as these young women did--in Berkeley, with sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll, sitting-in, protesting, etc., etc. It will be interesting to hear the discussion in a couple of weeks, because some of the ladies are just enough older (five years, even!) to have participated more whole-heartedly in the Age of Aquarius.

Tried to read the book about President Kennedy, but I've read things that covered this history before, and this did seem to add to it; rather concentrated on his love life and his heath, which have been covered ad naseaum, anyway. Took it back before I finished it; it was due, anyway!

Read Bleachers by John Grisham a couple of weeks ago. What I liked most is that he really "gets" high-school sports and their importance in a community. But I could help but think the real book is what he tells in flashbacks and prolonged conversations.... He should have really sunk his teeth into it and wrote a full-blown saga. But I think he "relaxes" between nail-biting courtroom thrillers with this kind of stuff--I read his Christmas book too, which was enjoyable and funny, and his "A Painted House," which I think is his best work. Guess I regard it as a little of the Stephen-King syndrome--has been so successful, and made SO much money with his formula, he can't do more than dabble at stuff he could be considered a really serious, good writer of. (Now there is a badly constructed sentence!) (King fans: re: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.)

Made me think about, also, the book about small-town life I daydream about writing--the high school football coach, the teacher-turned-reporter in the summers, the threat, the attack, the mystery. Maybe I should give Mr. Grisham my idea, he could certainly do better with it than I will.

Have had a chance the last couple of weekends to watch both Harry Potter movies and the first half of Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Rings. Enjoyed HP very much; just saw online today that the new trailer for "Prisoner" will be out next Friday. The students are growing up! And watching Fellowship made me want to watch Two Towers; I had asked for it for my birthday and it was the one present I really wanted I didn't get. If I get some birthday money this weekend....I know what I will do with it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment