Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2003

Quotes and Trees

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. -- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891, preface.

Catalpa Trees

I've been thinking of them since yesterday, when I noticed they had burst into bloom. They will stay with me all day, the thoughts of these trees. Their tallness, elegance, grace. The huge, huge leaves--as a tropical tree would have. The cascading flowers, white. The very name: ca--taaalll-pa. A word that both rolls off one's tongue (the "taaalll") and fills up the mouth ("pa!"). (The name reminding me of another favorite work, and favorite place: Catawba.) When I think of the catalpa trees I feel tall and calm, and full of my truest self. It's easy to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment