Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Recommended Reading
Have had the great good pleasure to have enjoyed three books in the last couple of weeks, two in paper and on on audio.
Fortune's Rocks is the one I listened to; author is Anita Shreeve. The book-club ladies have been raving over her for 2 or 3 years, at least; I had never read anything of hers until this year, and now I am hooked, too. I listened to "A Pilot's Wife"; also read a couple more. Fortune's Rocks was a dozen tapes, but it went quickly; it was so good, not only did I listen in the car, I bought a new walkman so I could listen in the house, too. I like the way she writes about one place, how it shows up, in different ways, in most of her books. Very interesting.
The Solace of Leaving Early was next; Haven Kimmel is from Mooresville, IN, and although she no longer lives there, she writes of Indiana people and places very respectfully, yet full of humor. Lots of depth to this book; faith and grief are among the topics, yet it's not a book you feel sad when you put down.
Unlike this last book: Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold; although it ends on a positive note, some events are so horrific, and so lingering, I would have to say sadness was my overwhelming reaction to it; but I'm glad I read it, nonetheless. It's very well done; thoughtful and imaginative.

No comments:

Post a Comment