Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Waiting for the Clearing (in progress)
That evening, we didn't speak, or say goodnight.
We woke about three, whether from the
Lightning through the skylight, or the
Deep thunder in the far distance,
I don't know. He got up silently and went downstairs.
I tried to go back to sleep
But the disturbance continued for an hour,
And it bothered me, for I waited for it to break, or pass.
Neither happened:
About five the rain began, and it never stormed.
The sound was comforting and when I awoke
Later, it was still raining. He was gone.
For the first time this summer, the room was dark at 6:30,
And I had a panic, as if winter had come early.
Thankfully not, but I missed the light, even
As I welcomed the rain, the first since June
Of any consequence. It's August now.
Rained all the way to work and beyond.
By afternoon the rain was finished, but the clouds lingered,
Though I was ready for them to be gone.
Seemed too much like January.
Finally, around seven, as sunset began,
A thin, bright crack appeared in the west, with white light shining through.
And to the north, some tepid blue, and I hoped
Tuesday would be better.
"The sun is coming out," I told him. He nodded.
But we didn't see it that day.
Yet, just before bed, I opened the side door to the east
And looked out.
The gibbous moon shone, and the stars,
And the black, black sky.
Finally, the clearing.

Copyright © 2002 Cathy A. Dee. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment