Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Quote and Comment
"I have learned to use the word "impossible" with the greatest caution." -- Werner von Braun

So easy to forget--that things we perceive as impossible--little things, like getting through a busy, stressful day (without imploding!), bigger things, like rescuing nine miners from 240 feet underground, biggest things, like a nation recovering from a terrorist attack--all these things, perhaps they can be done.

Classic
I wrote previously of my love of "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. This is one I would repeat to myself as I would swing; when I read it, it's summer, I'm little, and I'm swinging high and can see the field in front of me.

The Swing
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the all,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

Escape
We were talking the other night of a trip we'd taken with the baseball team to Tennessee, and couldn't remember the name of the small city we'd stayed it. G. guessed Jefferson City, but on looking at the map, it was in the wrong place; I knew where we'd stayed was near the Cosby entrance to the national park. Some online research cleared the matter up; we had played three or four ballgames in a "baseball field in the clouds,' nestled right in the foothills, near Jefferson City; but we had stayed in Newport and played a game there also.

Just the 10 minutes or so of looking I did to clear up this mystery brought back so many memories of how beautiful that area is, and how much I'd like to go back. I found this web cam, and if you need a break, suggest you take a look. You can also use the image as your desktop wallpaper; just right-click.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/ard/parks/grsm/grsmcam/grsmcam.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment