Pages

Friday, June 14, 2002

Journal
Clouds and sun today...some thunder this morning, a shower this afternoon. Ballgames last night; some sprinkles. To lunch downtown Huntington today, Heritage Days in full swing. A dinner out tonight for our 27th wedding anniversary. So long ago.

This one might be too new to be classic

"Let Evening Come," by Jane Kenyon from Otherwise: New and Selected Poems (Graywolf Press).

Let Evening Come

Let the light of late afternoon
shine through chinks in the barn, moving
up the bales as the sun moves down.

Let the cricket take up chafing
as a woman takes up her needles
and her yarn. Let evening come.

Let dew collect on the hoe abandoned
in long grass. Let the stars appear
and the moon disclose her silver horn.

Let the fox go back to its sandy den.
Let the wind die down. Let the shed
go black inside. Let evening come.

To the bottle in the ditch, to the scoop
in the oats, to air in the lung
let evening come.

Let it come, as it will, and don't
be afraid. God does not leave us
comfortless, so let evening come.

Quote

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul;
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for though art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.
Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely the goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment