Pages

Friday, May 10, 2002

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Journal

Fighting off a little cold, welcoming the sun, finally--a latte this morning and paper, Friday treats. A busy weekend ahead. Indians lose, Cubs lose; standoff in Bethlehem over; the gas prices here in Indiana rose 20 cents in one day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Original

Similar Sun-like Systems

In my car I listen
To the radio show and learn
Of Similar Sun-like Systems
To our own.
Powerful Orbiting Telescopes
And various Learned Astronomers
Have discovered the Systems,
Always there, yet now new
Invisible, yet made light.

I drive along the curve of the earth
Above me a refracted sky, visible light
But beyond lie -- now I know --
Similar Sun-like Systems
To our own.
The blue is a veil between me
And a night full of Undiscovered Systems,
Similar, or not --
And there flies the Astronomer's eyes,
Quiet, gathering, shattering the blue.
So we know.

Copyright © 2001. Cathy A. Dee. All rights reserved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you, Walt Whitman (1819-1892), for today's classic:

When I heard the learn'd astronomer

WHEN I heard the learn'd astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and
measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Link

Favorite Poem Project--surely you have a favorite? Visit here http://www.favoritepoem.org/ and register yours!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment